Saturday 20 September 2014

Fried rice

远亲不如近邻。

Falling sick is horrible, and it is even worse when you're alone. I was ill just a week ago, but in the midst of wallowing in self-pity (haha shamelessly admitting this but hey, the sick is king), I am blessed to have wonderful friends in this faraway land.

First came M with a bottle of garlic. Yes I cringed too at the thought of eating raw garlic. Sure it flavours almost any stir fried dishes, but raw?


BUT I was wrong about this allium. This bottle of marinated garlic was not difficult to ingest at all - no bad taste, no foul after-smell. M specially bought this as garlic has been known to combat the common cold - basically it can boost the function of the immune system. It is quite a "power plant" actually. Research has also shown that garlic provides a host of health benefits which includes reducing blood pressure, improving cholesterol levels and preventing dementia. I finished my bottle of garlic in 2 days. It was a surprisingly tasty natural medicine, and because it was a thoughtful gift from a friend made it even more flavourful. 

On the very same day, R came over with dinner. Knowing that I was prolly too tired (lazy, really) to cook, she bought me a packet of rice to make sure that I still have energy and that I'd get better soon.


I was deeply touched by these gestures from R and M. I may be far away from home, but I am still blessed with love and concern from dear friends. *warm fuzzy feeling in my tummy* People like them made me realise that I am never alone. <3 So, thank you very much.

Unfortunately, I think I may have passed the nasty bug to R. She fell ill just a few days later. GARH!

So today, I decided to cook a simple dinner for her. Fried rice.


I prepared this with a bunch of colourful vegetables. Fruits and vegetables contain colourful phytochemicals that give them their colours and their healthy properties (antioxidants!). We should always "eat a rainbow" so we can get the unique benefits from each of the different coloured fruits and vegetables.


And so I went over with my prepared dish and few tablets of effervescent vitamin c. We had a good chat over dinner. Quiet slow saturday, but nevertheless a very pleasant evening.


Get well soon dearest! (: 


No comments:

Post a Comment