Tuesday 3 September 2013

Orange passion fruit snowskin mooncakes

圆满。

It's granny's birthday. And in place of birthday cakes, I made mooncakes. There is still about 3 weeks to mooncake festival, but nobody said it's too early to have any now. (: I got excited shopping for the ingredients to make these little squares, and so I decided to make them the very next day upon gathering all the things I needed.


Mooncakes are regarded as a traditional delicacy eaten during the Mid Autumn Festical that falls on the 15th day of the 8th lunar month. Making and sharing mooncakes is one of the hallmark traditions of this festival and symbolise completeness and unity. However in this day and age, hardly anyone makes mooncakes at home anymoe. This has given way to the more popular custom of purchasing mooncakes for family members as a way of signifying family reunion.


Mooncakes are typically round or rectangular shaped, with a rich thick filling usually made from lotus seed or red bean paste. Some may contain yolks from salted duck eggs.


I personally don't fancy lotus seed paste, and so when I came across this passion fruit paste at a bakery store (I get to taste it too before I bought it!) I immediately got it. It's sweet with a hint of tanginess and goes well with snowskin mooncakes. Refreshing, as some of my trusty tasters said, and prolly would be nice as an appetiser before a meal. On a side note, passion fruit lowers risk of high blood pressure. Hmm.


I made a Pooh bear mooncake just because I thought it was cute.


I've always looked forward to mooncake festival every year: to carrying paper lanterns and strolling in parks, to moon-watching, to eating mooncakes in small wedges accompanied by chinese tea, to being with the family and loves ones. This year, perhaps, we'll have some of these I made. (:

1 comment:

  1. A great way to celebrate family togetherness - home made mooncakes made with love! :) a very heart warming post. :)

    ReplyDelete