Friday 19 December 2014

Pound cake

It's finally beginning to look a lot like Christmas. As I eagerly await the coming of the special season, I begin to realise it's the preparation towards the festive day that makes it all so special; in fact, it is already that season now. The writing of Christmas cards, sending of gifts, having parties and dinners with friends and family, decorated streets and homes, and happy people - these are the reasons why I love Christmas.

It's my first Christmas with B. :) To "celebrate" his arrival in York, I baked him a pound cake! Traditionally, pound cake is made of a pound of each ingredients: butter, sugar, eggs and flour, hence its name. There have been quite some "modern alterations" of this old recipe, you can add berries, chocolate chip, banana and even peanut butter (eww...) to the basic pound cake recipe.


I wasn't gonna make a 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 pound pound cake, so I scaled it down, keeping the 1:1:1:1 ratio. I squeezed in some lemon and added some grated lemon skin as well. Itchy fingers despite wanting to stick to keeping it simple.


The lemons provided a little tart taste, and I like that it is so moist and dense. Gives a christmasy-cake feel. :p

Merry blessed Christmas to all. :) And a happy new beginning to the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment